And that’s exactly what happened to Denis Duthie from New Zealand… although, not quite in the way you’d imagine. Duthie swigged vodka but found that he had suddenly gone blind after it reacted with his diabetes meds. Duthie had been celebrating his parents’ wedding anniversary by having a few vodkas from a bottle that he’d been given as a gift.
Alas, moments later when he went for a widdle, he found that everything had gone black.
Duthie said: “I thought it had got dark and I’d missed out on a bit of time but it was only about half-past-three in the afternoon. I was fumbling around the bedroom for the light switch but I’d just gone completely blind.”
After being rushed to Taranaki Base Hospital, doctors suspected he may have had formaldehyde poisoning. The poisoning is reportedly something to do with ingesting methanol and, to treat it, ethanol must be administrated.
And where do you find ethanol? In booze!
With that, the hospital didn’t have enough of the correct booze to treat Duthie, so ...